Sunday, June 8, 2014

6-1-14

Hello! Da jia hao!
This week was a roller coaster again but with more ups than downs. Another week that I can't help but praise my God. He has been so good to us, I will forever be grateful to Him.
To start off with, Monday we had an awesome miracle out contacting after p-day. We were knocking doors and had many shut in our faces, as usual. But as we got to one of the last houses on the street, I'd started singing "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" (yea, I know, never thought you'd hear ME say I was singing a Christmas song in the middle of the year...) and we knocked another door. We of course did the usual "we're missionaries and sharing a happy message that we'd like to share with you." The funny thing is, this sweet lady then looked at us and asked "are you going to sing for me? That was you I just heard singing right?" We told her we'd be more than happy to sing for her and so she called her daughter down to let us sing for them and share our message with them. They don't have a specific religion but they more follow the traditional taiwan buddhist/daoist traditions but were more than willing to let us come back. It was a huge miracle. Right after we walked out of their house we were just overwhelmed with joy. Funny thing is, a guy was getting out of his car and my companion was talking to him. Lo and behold, he's a member picking up his children. His daughter was so excited to see the sister missionaries, it was super cute. I feel like he's also an LA too, but we're not quite sure. It was really cool.
On Tuesday we had another awesome miracle. We were supposed to go english boarding but had a wrench temporarily thrown in our plans so decided to go knocking nearby. As we're slowly walking up the street a man looked at us and asked "are you Christians?" Of course we told him yes so he walked to a door nearby, threw it open and said "come on in." Sadly his wife was busy and so we couldn't visit them but he's more than willing to let us come back. It was just really cool to have someone so excited to see us and be welcoming. I guess this late in my mission, I can still have some firsts. :P Another first happened that night on the way home when Sister Singh used the "finger of faith" My companion stopped at a red light and pointed across the street, asking if the lady would stop there (why it's the finger of faith) and she did! We then had an amazing lesson with this beautiful daughter of God who really needs the gospel in her life. She's had a really hard life. Her dad passed away I don't know how long ago and her brother has cancer. She said she's also been sick too. This poor girl was once Christian but felt that God had abandoned her or just didn't exist so hasn't prayed in years. It broke my heart, especially since her story had a familiar ring to me. I was grateful to be able to promise to her that God is listening and would answer her prayers, that He'd help her through it. Then we got to hear her say one of the most beautiful prayers ever heard. It was amazing!!!
Wednesday was a harder day with little success. Sadly, on top of it one of the elders here got in a bike accident. Luckily he's okay, just got a sprained ankle but I think it drove it a little closer to home for all of us missionaries again since summer's here and so more people are out and they drive crazier than ever. We're blessed we missionaries always have guardian angels :) It was also sad for me to hear that from his companion since I've been with this Elder since he moved to Xizhi 4 transfers ago so we've served in the same area for 5 transfers. It's always crazy when you get those reminders. I promise I'm being safe though so no panicking :)
Thursday was also a rougher day in general. But that night we got to go eat good food at a member's house with many of the amazing friends I've made here. I really enjoyed it. This week it's hit me again exactly how blessed I am with the friends I've made, they really are friends of eternity, not for the brief space that I'm a missionary and it's truly incredible.
Friday we had another awesome miracle. Several in fact. But I think my favorite (and one of my favorites all week, probably because I have a soft spot for LAs) happened while we were english boarding. We wanted to english board at a school but ended up being 40 minutes early so decided to go to a small lane nearby and knock and english board. Well, we got to an area I've been before with Sister Wu a long time ago and gave a lady an english tract. As we walked away, I realized she had our church sticker on her door and I knew she was one of the lost sheep, I could feel it. We walked away and Sister Singh and I just stopped and talked about it. I told her she was a lost sheep and her response was "dang it, I knew I should've talked to her. I knew I should've followed the spirit (funny how you always know after that it was the spirit)" So we decided to go back and talk to her. She really was an LA that has struggled a lot. She's younger (in her 30s) and felt like a misfit at church. I think she also never really had a strong foundation so it was easy to fall away. She was happy to meet with us and let us come again. I think she really can come back. One thing that struck me Friday and Saturday was that twice we heard members (one less active and one semi-active) tell us "I thought the church had forgotten about me." Broke my heart. Heavenly Father really does lead us to the prepared, and sometimes those prepared are already members that need a little boost.
Saturday was a huge miracle day. It started out by visiting the semi-active member that I think is struggling a lot. She talked about how the missionaries used to always visit her so I think at some point the ward really worried about her. She's originally from vietnam and is divorced with a little boy who is now 8. I feel like her son is probably a little on the special side and they just need a little extra encouragement. We've decided we're going to keep visiting and helping them, let them know that even if the church has forgotten about them, their Father in Heaven most certainly hasn't.
After that member, we went to visit an LA in YingGe and that was pretty incredible too, she's progressing. She looked happier than I've seen her since I came here and really, we both agree that she's doing better in general. It's amazing. We also met some really awesome people contacting that day. But that night we had another "finger of faith experience." A girl had stopped next to me at a light and I had a couple seconds to talk to her then asked if she'd be willing to pull over and talk for a bit. Then we were also able to teach her about prayer. It was incredible! Heavenly Father has blessed us so much this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another cool miracle I just heard about is that one of my really stubborn investigators in TaiDong that we all knew would get baptized but just didn't know when got baptized next week. A huge miracle. I'm super grateful for it :) Yep, I'm definitely blessed!!!
I also loved as I was looking back through old journals last night and could see the change from then to now. I definitely feel a lot different now and that's a huge miracle in and of itself. I love this amazing blessing and that I can see it. Missions are awesome, they really do change lives, most of all the missionary's life. I will be forever grateful for this amazing experience I've had.
Sorry for such a long novel this week, but I wanted to share my awesome experiences with ya'll. Hope this finds you well! Keep working hard and taking care of yourselves. Jiayou!
Love you!
Sister Thomsen

No comments:

Post a Comment