Friday, June 3, 2011

Granada, España and my many adventures thus far...

So yea, I´m here in Granada and it was quite an adventure to get here, let me tell you!
So the first part of my journey here was fine, met some really nice people who sat next to me on both the planes. One even told me about knitting bombing or somethin like that, I don´t exactly recall the name but it was really interesting. Then, I got to JFK and things got interesting fast, and in a bad way. I almost missed my flight out of JFK to Madrid because I was at the wrong gate. Oh my gosh, that airport is sooo confusing! I understand why people refuse to fly in or out of it... Then, I finally got to Granada and had to spend 321 Euros because when my flight from Madrid to Granada was booked it got scheduled for the wrong day. It was scheduled for the 28th when I didn´t even get to Spain until the 29th. Oh man, it sucked so bad dealing with all of that. I´d hardly eaten because the food on the plane was disgusting and then I´d hardly slept because I couldn´t get comfortable and when I finally drifted off the person next to me kept moving and hitting me so I honestly wasn´t in a good mood or a good emotional state, needless to say.
Then, I finally got to Granada and my host family´s house around six pm here and got everything inside and got to relax a little before I had to go meet my group for a meeting. My host mom is sooo nice! My host family´s so nice, though I hope they get some laughter out of me or they must just think I´m the biggest idiot on the planet and get pretty irritated with me... Anywho, my host mom walked me over to the Plaza Nueva since I didn´t know where it was and was stupid enough to forget my directions at home in the U.S. and she talked to my professor some. My prof pretty much loves here, she always talks about how nice Carmen is, and I admit, I must agree with her. The bad part about it is the fact that I got lost going home that night because I kept thinking it was closer than it is and I was almost right next to it for the whole two hours I was wandering around this city trying to find my way there since I didn´t have any way of contacting anyone about how to get home and pretty much everyone that lives here doubts that my street even exists, which is annoying and confusing in my opinion. Then I finally got home and got a shower! YAY after traveling and walking around so much, that´s about the only time I get really girly about a shower, after long journeys, getting really dirty, or sweating a lot, lol. Then I got to rest up some and relax, which was really nice and helped me to somewhat prepare for the week.
So, short tangent about my host family because I honestly love these people! My mom is Carmen, and she´s gorgeous. I´m hoping to get some pics and then figure out how to add them but haven´t exactly gotten around to it yet... Anyway, she´s divorced and owns her own clothing store and she has the best style! Then there´s Mamen, who I´m guessing is somewhere around my age. She´s just as gorgeous as her mom and is studying rights at college, if I understand them correctly which is not guaranteed, lol. After her there´s Antonio who talks the fastest and I´m pretty much positive he thinks I´m a complete imbecile who knows no Spanish whatsoever... But he´s also a teenager and they always think the worst about people, in my opinion and experience. Last but certainly not least, there´s Fernando, who actually had a birthday on Monday. Fernando cracks me up the most and he´s really nice to me. If he stays the way he´s headed he will be a perfect gentleman when he´s older which I hope he is.
Monday we had our placement exam at the school and luckily I did NOT get lost! We went and bought our cell phones, well three of us went and bought cell phones, I wanted one after getting so lost Sunday night and to keep up somewhat with the group since I´m the only girl without a roommate and I live across town from everyone else. The only funny story I have from Monday is that during my placement exam, we had a grammatical test as well as a written and ended with an oral part. The guy in charge of my oral exam was completely puzzled by me because I understand so much better than I speak but I also put my own thoughts into words far better than I can finish other people´s thoughts in Spanish... Maybe I´m weird, but that´s just how I am. And so the poor guy was amazed when I went off in Spanish during my oral because that was one of my good days speaking Spanish, probably because my brain wasn´t so totally fried, lol! He told me I was a difficult case because grammatically I should be in level 4 but he thought I could do well in level 5 and figure it all out. I just hope he´s right since he did put me in level 5 after much thought and now I can no longer change my class... :$ :/
Tuesday we went to the Mirador where you can see the Alhambra, which is basically the pride of Granada. From what I understand the Alhambra is the old castle of Ferdinand and Isabel but I´m not sure... The Mirador is so pretty! It´s probably the prettiest sight I´ve ever seen in my life, which is saying something because I was in love with DC... We went through the Albaicín to get to the Mirador which is really interesting because it´s the ol part of town and basically the only part that I didn´t see a ton of graffitti in. That´s my one thing about Spain, there´s graffitti EVERYWHERE here! Which is really sad since there´s also so much history and they´re ruining it!! :( But it was also a really small area, which I think is because it´s so old. I´ll try to get the picture up but the staircase we went through to enter the Albaicín, I felt really big in it. I swear, if anyone were claustrophobic going through there, they´d probably pass out because it is so small.
Then, Wednesday we went as a group without our professor to do the stuff on our list for culture. We went to al Convento de San Jerónimo and al Palacio de la Madraza. I wasn´t a big fan of the Palacio, it´s interesting and historical but wasn´t anywhere near as awesome as the convent and everything else I´ve seen while here in Spain. The Convent was awesome and so pretty! I loved the atmosphere and it was so pretty!
The convent had several different rooms that had pictures and statues of Christ, with one truly big room that´s more equivalent to a chapel. Anywho, I´m all blogged out for now, TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment