Sunday, May 5, 2013

2/5/13

Wo de jiating! Well, it's that time of week again. It's crazy how time flies by while at the same time is totally dragging here! I'm doing pretty good this week, no desires to go home in the last week and that's an accomplishment for me :P The Chinese is coming, slowly but surely. It's actually really fast for the fact that I've been here such a short time but I'm starting to feel better about it in general. I think I'll learn it but it'll be like my Spanish, that I wont be fully comfortable with it until the end of my mission and then I'll be studying it for the rest of my life. I love this language, it has its moments that it is truly beautiful, but every language is beautiful in its own right if you can only find how to love it. My district leader that was just released was actually really supportive about my language, he was always telling us how good he thought we all were doing, but he also made sure to constantly tell me. He's awesome like that. But I love all my district, they're all incredible in their own rights. Ever since our teacher told me that I had the gift of tongues in the one lesson, I've strived to work even harder to learn this language so I can convey this gospel to everyone who needs it, which is EVERYONE! I even did an English fast for most of the day on Saturday to help me do better in the language and strive to truly communicate in zhongwen. However, that was an incredibly frustrating experience and therefore not one I'm likely to try again any time in the near future, lol. However, I'm doing much better at doing SYL (Speak Your Language) which basically consists of speaking your language as much as possible and only substituting the words you don't know in your language with English when absolutely necessary. I'm getting better at it. Honestly, if I were to meet that girl that came here December 19th, I wouldn't know her. I know I've already changed so much and it's incredible to think of the changes that have occurred. Now, I have the opportunity to share that with others, help them receive that same transformation and strength. I've been able to do it with our baby generation that came in 2 weeks ago, since last night they were all very discouraged and I was able to help buoy them up because I've been in their shoes. I've been in the discouraged boat wondering what on earth Heavenly Father was thinking calling me to this language because he could definitely call someone far more qualified than I. But that's just it, us Chinese missionaries are special. Every missionary is special but we've decided you get called to the asian languages to learn patience and humility, not the gospel or how to teach or things like that. Heavenly Father had a reason for calling every one of us, and I was able to share that with my sisters and help strengthen them. Not that they really needed it, they just needed to find it in themselves again. They are so incredible. I have such a love for them. I wish you could meet all the amazing people I've met here for I've learned from every single one of them. And tomorrow I get to host the new sisters! I can't wait to try to buoy them up as well as they're standing there all terrified for what's going on! I just want to be the strong, bubbly, helpful person my host was my first day. She was amazing, and I haven't really seen or spoken to her since but I will be forever grateful to her. I don't think I have much more to share with you right now, there hasn't been many big events lately, still loving missionary life and working hard, I want to finish out these 4-5 weeks strong as can be. It's hard to believe I only have a little over a month left here, time has definitely flown by. I want to report to my Father that I used His time wisely, didn't waste it and did everything in my power to learn how to bring His gospel to His children who need it. I'm so truly blessed to have it in my life and to have this opportunity to share it with others... I love this gospel and the Chinese people and I can't wait to teach them! Wo ai nimen! Tang Jiemei/Sister Thomsen

No comments:

Post a Comment