Monday, October 21, 2013

8/18/13

Wode jiating!
This week was a fun week. I feel like our companionship has received some blessings from the fast and I'm sure more will follow in time :) We have been working hard this week, spending many hours knocking doors and because of it, we found 2 new investigators! One of them I definitely feel like has interest, there's one I'm not sure about but I'm willing to keep trying! However, we did also find an awesome new investigator from a member. Such a cool story. We were way out on Gengsheng bei lu visiting an LA on Wednesday and she started to worry because it looked like rain so she turned to us and told us we needed to say a prayer because it looked like xia-da-yu and she didn't want us to get caught in it. As Elder Huang was in the middle of the closing prayer, it just started pouring down. We went outside to our bikes and I was sopped wet within about a minute. But we just kept working as usual and went out to another LA's house. Turns out, she'd forgotten and wasn't home. So we went to visit another member that works in that area. We're sitting there talking to her and all of a sudden she turns to us and says "wait a minute, I want to go see if my neighbor is home" and just walks off. She comes back and tells us, "yes, she's home." and that we need to follow her. Her neighbor's Christian but rarely goes to church anymore and she's willing to keep meeting with us! So our LA visit became a member visit which became a peike. It was so cool. Best part is after we get this awesome new investigator, we still got to go visit our LA. She said she wants to be a better example to her kids so she will make more effort to come to church. Though sadly, she didn't come yesterday :( We'll keep working with her though.

Funny story for the week. We knock doors a lot and my companion usually has the approach that if the doorbell doesn't work and the gate's open then it's valid to knock on the door. I usually have a hard time walking through someone's gate, I don't know why. Usually she runs up to the door, knocks, and runs back to me. Last night we were knocking doors and there was this nice house with a big gate that had no doorbell but the gate was open. So she said she'd go knock the door. Then she sees a dogbowl and is scared to do it but starts to walk in anyway. She gets almost to the door when this big black dog comes running out, before I know it, she's booked it halfway down the street practically. The owner followed his dog though and his dog didn't bark at all or anything so I started talking to him some. The dog then ran up to Sister Chao and started sniffing her so she asks its owner "will your dog bite people?" It was so funny. I wish we'd gotten a new investigator out of it though, but definitely did get a good laugh and hopefully you will now too :)

Another funny moment between my companion and I. Also happened on Geng Sheng Lu. We were waiting to cross the street and all these bikers went riding past. And when I say bikers I mean people riding bicycles. They don't seem to have bikers here like the do in the states with motorcycles and such. Well, I think they're doing the tour Taiwan bike ride thingy that's always being advertised. As they go riding past my companion tells me to look at all the cool bikers and that she wants to be like them. So I told her she is cool like them, just cooler since anyone can bike in pants, it takes someone truly awesome to bike in a skirt everyday. It was a fun goofy moment between Sister Chao and I :) we have them often as you can tell...

Another big thing this week is we have an investigator that might get baptized this week or next week! The big thing is, she has to have her parent's give her permission and she's terrified to even ask them. They're really devout Buddhists and don't like her even meeting with us, don't like her even leaving the house really. We're doing a fast with her this week hoping her parents will give her permission to be baptized but I guess we'll see. Thing is, she's moving to Gaoxiong soon for school. Hoping for a miracle but if not, she turns 20 in a year or two and hopefully when that day comes she'll still have the desire. She's so awesome. We've been meeting with her and her boyfriend and I really hope they're both able to get baptized. He especially seems golden but so does she. I guess we'll see what happens...

Other than that, we really just got fanged (stood up) a lot this week by set-ups, investigators, and members alike. We've also spent a lot of time knocking doors. We know there's people in this city waiting for us, there's a family here somewhere, we just have to find them. And the only way to do that is to be out finding and knocking doors. I can't wait for the miracles that will follow from all of this! As Elder Martin's always saying "we're gonna make it rain." Or you could also go with Elder Teshima's approach that right now we're planting a lot of seeds but it's good, because soon it's going to rain. And when it does, we'll reap what we've sown. Figures a farming analogy would come from him. He spent his summers in Tri-Cities and Othello areas farming actually. It's funny talking to him about home because he actually knows what I'm talking about. lol.

I think that's about it for this week. Hope all is well!
Wo ai ni-o!
Sister Thomsen/Tang Jiemei

No comments:

Post a Comment