Sunday, March 9, 2014

1/13/14

Da Jia Hao!
I hope you are doing well today. This last week was really good. One of my biggest miracles was being able to be an instrument in the Lord's hands and realizing that I was able to do so. On Wednesday we were at Jin Hua doing temple tours and the Temple Sisters had scheduled to train us at 4 but they weren't there when we waited and then didn't answer when I called so we decided to go out contacting and I really feel like it was God's will since we walked by the university right by Jin Hua and ran into a foreigner. Her name is Alecea and she was sharing how she's more or less grown up between here and her home in Johannesburg, South Africa but how she'd started school at the university only 4 days before and she was really struggling. She was talking about how she's a Christian but not very open about her faith. I enjoyed being able to share one of my favorite scriptures with her about Christ healing the people in America and telling her that I knew he would heal her because homesickness and discouragement are also ailments he desires to heal us of. I think it helped her but as I said, it made me feel as an instrument in the Lord's hands which also really helped me.
On Thursday we also had an awesome miracle. I think I failed to mention the sister we met the week before at McDonalds. I'd had to use the restroom while finding and the only public bathroom nearby was at the McDonalds. Lo and Behold, I think that was also God's will since my companion ended up contacting a sister that was babysitting there at the McDonalds and Thursday afternoon she called to see if we'd be willing to meet with her that evening. It was a really awesome miracle. She's already praying a lot and has started reading the Book of Mormon. Sadly, she said her schedule is kind of uncertain so was unable to re-set with us but said she'd be willing to keep meeting and that she'd keep reading and praying. Truly and awesome miracle. I felt really blessed to be able to witness such and incredible miracle.
Also, lately we've had some incredible miracles from working with the members. One of our members invited us to her house for FHE next Sunday with a lady that keeps coming to church but seems unwilling to meet with us at the moment. It was awesome to see how much Zhu Jiemei was willing to open up because of it. We also have members more willing to help peike and help with the LAs so I feel like the work is starting to pick up a little more here in Xizhi!

Also, I decided today I'd like to share some of my recent funny contacting experiences with you... Last week we contacted a lady who is very devout Buddhist who kept telling us how we shouldn't eat meat because animals are living things that have feelings as well. She also kept telling us how we're meat-eating robots because eating meat is not a choice, it's not something we should do. Definitely a very interesting experience that I can't help but laugh at now. Gotta love those moments!
Another one happened the other day. Buddhists often say "Amitopho" (most likely spelled wrong, sorry) as they greet or leave. Well, the other day I contacted a lady, just saying hi and asking how she was when she started practically yelling "Amitopho, amitopho, amitopho." As she walked by my companion she did the exact same thing though my companion was already contacting someone else. Definitely an interesting experience and one that I look back on and laugh...
So yea, that's my life for now. Hope you caught a few fun glimpses of my life as a missionary and hope all is well in your part of the world!
Wo ai nimen! Jiayou!
Sister Thomsen

No comments:

Post a Comment